Sunday, March 31, 2013

Shin Beijing: Overly Sweet Black Bean Noodles, Bad Service


 I wanted to take an out-of-town guest to Young Kyung but it was closed on a Sunday (weird). So we had to resort to Shin Buk Kyung, or New Beijing or Shin Beijing as some folks call it. It reopened last year after undergoing a remodeling and it'd been a while since I'd been back.


It doesn't look like the most appetizing dish but the combination of noodles with black bean sauce that's salty and sweet with loads of onions and pork morsels. The jjajangmyun (black bean noodles) was too sweet so I'd say it was average.
You can't have the noodles without tangsooyook. We got the beef version although it's usually pork. I liked that they gave us the fried pieces and sauce separately so it doesn't get soggy. I also liked that the beef wasn't too fatty, which is usually what happens -- masking the fat with loads of deep fried batter. But these were all meat and nicely fried, crisp and piping hot.
The sauce was a bit on the tangy side and too gooey (too much corn starch?) but it went well with the meat pieces.
The shrimp dish with tomato sauce was downright bad. But I didn't want to waste the shrimp so re-purposed it my way with some soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine and agave.

The service was very slow and not sure I'd return. I liked the jjajangmyun and tangsooyook at Young Kyung better.

No comments:

Post a Comment