Sunday, August 24, 2014

Leo's Taco Truck Serves the Best Al Pastor Taco You'll Ever Have, Guisados' Slow Cooked Pork and Beef Tacos Rule, Skip the Chicken and Chicharrones

I can't believe it's taken me over a decade to find Leo's Taco Truck (not to be confused with Leo's Tacos in Eagle Rock). You basically haven't had real al pastor tacos until you've had these. The pork masterfully sliced from the large rotating spit -- thanks to Lebanese immigrants to Mexico (although they usually used lamb) who brought the shawarma tradition with them - is simply perfect. Paired with a tiny slice of pineapple equally masterfully cut by the master below, it is an even more perfect taco. The price for this heavenly snack? $1.  
Nestled in a gas station lot on La Brea and Venice, this place was hopping on a late weekend evening. The wait was about 30 minutes thanks to people coming from all over LA for their al pastor fix. 
It was a treat to watch the master in action. 
During the long wait, we never once saw him miss -- every tiny slice of meat from the spit made it to the small tortilla, as did the small slice of pineapple that always fell atop the meat in a perfect landing. 
The taco didn't need any condiments. But since they had a whole bar, who am I to neglect the works? I went straight for the roasted tomato salsa, of course. You gotta love and respect a taco truck that so appreciates the taco that it gives its customers a full-on condiments bar stationed in the middle of a lot. 
I just thought I'd give you an extreme close up shot of the tacos, just because. 
Speaking of late taco discoveries, I finally tried Guisados in Echo Park and understood some of the hype. I got the sampler that included cochinita pibil, tinga de pollo, bistek en salsa roja, chicharron, mole poblano and steak picado. It was great trying six different kinds of tacos, mostly slow cooked meats. My favorite is, not surprisingly, the cochinita pibil that I love on its own. Cochinita pibil is a Yucatan dish of slow cooked pork in a red achiote chile atop a bed of black beans. It was served with pickled red onions and habanero chile. I found this one to be the most flavorful.

My second favorite was the bistek en salsa roja was flank steak braised with red bell peppers and tomatoes, served with chile de arbol and avocado atop black beans. Tender meat with some heat and sweetness from the bell peppers and tomatoes. What's not to like?

Next was the steak picado, consisting of flank steak simmered with green bell peppers and bacon, served with serrano chile over black beans. I like bacon. That's probably why I liked this one. The saltiness.

My least favorites ones were the chicken and the chicharron, or fried pig skin ones. I've made the black mole poblano from scratch once and decided it wasn't worth the effort. I even had it a few times in Oaxaca known for its moles but I came to the conclusion that I'm not a black mole person. I'm more of a mole rojo, coloradito, kind of person. I even learned how to make it when I was in Oaxaca and loved it. The mole tacos came with shredded chicken in mole topped with sour  cream, queso fresco, red onion and dried chile. 

Tinga de pollo is also shredded chicken but braised with tomatoes, cabbage and chipotle chile and served with chipotle chile and avocado. I found the chicken on the dry side and the sauce a tad bland. 

The chicharron -- I just don't like chicharron. I know. What can I say? I like fried chicken skin but not pig skin. 

I'd like to try the original Boyle Heights location sometime. 

Last but not least, the patrons happen to be serious eye candy for both sexes -- as if it were a scene without trying to be. So hipster. So Echo Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment