Saturday, August 10, 2013

Berlin Bistro in LBC: Decent Kalua Pork with Grilled Pineapple and Rice

Berlin Bistro, a cute little cafe that serves decent food in Long Beach, also goes by berlin coffee house on its URL. I love the concept of this joint -- modern decor, a cool, alternative vibe and artisan coffee. I was skeptical about the food menu because I didn't love the coffee the one time I tried it. I dared to get something that isn't easy to do well -- the kalua pork plate.
If not done properly, this dish would smell excessively porky and not in a good way. I was pleasantly surprised. The pork was tender and juicy, and it didn't have the nasty smell. The marinade wasn't overly sweet and while a tad salty (to soak up the accompanying rice), it was good.
The sides included a wedge of steamed bok choy and my personal favorite, a perfectly grilled slice of pineapple (with perfect grill marks), complete with the most inviting smokiness. It also came with two cute little scoops of white rice sprinkled with some black sesame seeds. Very nice touch. I'm always hesitant when I see folks doing Asian or Asian fusion-type menus (other items on the menu: yellow curry and katsu bowl) but I may just try them on my next visit (I may have to draw the line at the banh mi, though). My only beef was its insistence on calling things "pomme frites" or "steak frites" when it could have easily called a rose a rose. Besides, Berlin isn't known for its bistros! How do you like that alliteration?! If you're trying to go local, might as well call the katsu bowl katsu don instead, no? Ok, I'm being nit picky. Bottom line: I liked the food but not the coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment