Monday, August 19, 2013

Estiatorio Milos in Vegas: Greek at its Best, Reminiscent of Santorini

Estiatorio Milos in the Cosmopolitan in Vegas took me back to this amazing Greek meal we had in Santorini a few years ago. We had the prix fixe lunch that included a starter, main and dessert. Big thumbs up.
The grilled octopus appetizer paired with capers and very thinly sliced red onions and fennel was very refreshing -- perfect for super scorching weather this time of the year in Vegas. The octopus was cooked to a perfect tenderness and the citrusy drizzle on top was just tangy enough. I also loved the whole grilled bass that came mostly deboned and topped with some lemon and capers and steamed broccoli on the side. The bass was incredibly fresh and again, it reminded me of the excellent quality seafood we had in Greece. So simple and yet delicious because the ingredients were so fresh they did most of the work.
The grilled scallop appetizer that came with perfect, and I mean perfect, grillmarks was divine. I didn't care for the couscous side that I found too doughy smelling but the bell pepper and onions on the skewer went well with the meaty scallop that was cooked just right.
The Meze plate was also good. It included pita wedges with three dips and the Greek cheese manouri, which I like much better than feta. The dips were tzatziki that was rich and yogurty; tamara that is short for taramasalata and has fish roe; and htipiti, a roasted red pepper and feta mix. Each of the dips had strong, explosion of different flavors.

We couldn't resist the lobster fettuccine in a light, tomato cream sauce and it was rich and decadent, just like it sounded. This is LV, after all. I liked that it was generous with the lobster chunks as they should be, since it had a supplemental charge. I actually must rant at this point about how much I dislike "supplemental charges" in fixed menus for certain items. I get that lobster is pricey but still, they usually are the best sounding dishes, which defeats the purpose of the fixed menu in the first place. Still, it was good but not one of the best dishes we had here.

Dessert was rather boring. I had the fruit (above) and others had the Greek yogurt topped with a raspberry, a few blueberries and a hint of a compote. Yawn.
I'd recommend this spot to anyone going to Vegas. It's a good lunch deal if you don't go for the supplemental charge items and very good food.



No comments:

Post a Comment