Sunday, July 13, 2014

Chorizo Clams at Korean Colombian Escala and Bad Sandwiches at Whiz

Escala and Whiz represent the new types of joints setting up shop in Koreatown -- the cool, borderline hipster spots that serve decidedly hybrid LA food. The cocktails like El Jefe were promising. Made with Jalapeno infused Aguardiente (a strong, Colombian spirit), grilled pineapple juice, panella (unrefined cane sugar) and lime, it was refreshing with just the right subtle kick.
Escala serves Colombian food (owned by a Korean Colombian who came to America) and its ceviche of tilapia and shrimp with roasted corn is not bad though nothing to write home about.
The steamed clams with chorizo in a tomato sauce that came with nicely toasted bread slices was great bar food -- salty and hearty. I asked for more bread -- couldn't resist that sauce.
Now for the bad. The beef empanadas with aji verde (green chili) sauce was terribly disappointing. First of all, the empanadas were fried and very greasy. Then the beef filling was completely devoid of any flavor. The aji sauce didn't help much and I stopped eating it.

The place has a great vibe and half outdoors in the historic Chapman Plaza so it's worth a visit for at least a drink but some of the food needs to pack more flavor. Get the clams and a cocktail.

Now for the downright ugly. Whiz down the street on 6th was equally promising. I generally liked the food at gastropub Beer Belly, owned by the same couple. However, the only thing that was remotely decent were the Sriracha fries -- crinkled fries smothered in some Sriracha mayo concoction. Then again, what's not to like about fries and Sriracha? Still, I expected more from these owners (not diner fries!).
They were nice enough to remake a burger for me as the first one was overcooked. Unfortunately, the flavors were all wrong. I liked the brioche bun enough but the combination of the patty with the fried shallots, Sriracha dressing and cheddar cheese for some reason didn't gel at all. I wanted to like it, honestly.
Remember my less than stellar Philly Cheese Steak experience a few months ago at the birthplace of the Philly Cheese Steak here? Well, this rubbed salt on the wound and made me want a good one even more. Flavorless, poor quality meat, bland cheese and weak bread. The pickled jalapenos were the only flavors on that sad sandwich.
Don't even get me started on the chicken sandwich. Granted I got it to-go so it didn't retain all the piping hot crispiness had it been straight out of the fryer. I get that. Still, that sandwich had zero flavor and the little flavors they did have didn't combine well at all. I don't think I'll be returning but it seems very popular. I do like the concept of outdoor dining and neighborhood sandwich shop but the flavors simply didn't deliver.

1 comment: