Sunday, July 20, 2014

Decent Tonkotsu Ramen and Gyoza in San Diego's Convoy; Skip the Chicken Karage

I am on a mission to find the best ramen spots anywhere so I found my way to Yakyudori Yakitori Ramen in San Diego's Asiatown Convoy. My go-to order, the tonkotsu ramen with an egg, was solid. Strong broth, soft chashu slices and soft-cooked egg with plenty of veggies.
The pan fried gyoza were good but nothing special -- a bit large and overstuffed for my taste but nicely browned.
The chicken karage was average to below average. They weren't crispy and fluffy enough but still serviceable.
As an appetizer, the soft tofu blocks with bonito flakes and topped with finely minced green onions were refreshing for hot weather and mild in flavor to counterbalance the salty ramen. However, unless you douse the tofu in the soy sauce, it could feel a bit dry with the flakes and green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment