Sunday, July 27, 2014

New York Roundup VII: Falafel Sampler at Taiim, Philly Cheese Steak at Shorty's and Comodo Leaves Something to be Desired

Here's the last series of roundups from New York. I'm glad I got to try famous falafels and pizzas as well as pork buns. First stop: Taiim, known for their falafel varieties and funky drinks. Funky they were. I had the pear, mint and lemon one that was interesting but not the best combination. I wouldn't return for it. Taiim offered three falafel varieties shaped in mini-muffin form including the classic green with parsley, cilantro, mint; harissa mixed with Tunisian spices that was mild and red mixed with roasted red peppers.
The falafel sampler was good and my favorite was the roasted red pepper one -- I'm a fiend for smoky pepper flavors. They were freshly fried -- crispy on the outside and piping hot on the inside. The hummus was very flavorful and super creamy, just the way I like it. I'm usually a babaganoush person but this hummus did it for me. The plate came with a cucumber and tomato salad (dubbed israeli salad here) as well as tabouli. The pita had toasted za'atar on it that included sesame seeds that gave it a nice toasty dimension.

Next stop: Shorty's for a redeeming Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. When you have a wonderful view on a rooftop and good company, you don't want to go anywhere. So we got takeout from this venerable joint that serves all sorts of yummy, artery-clogging food. I got the classic Philly Cheese Steak sandwich (Whiz and all) and we shared some onion rings and cheesy fries. The sandwich was definitely better than the three I had in Philly proper (I'm going to try Tony Luke's next time). The only thing was it gave me some stomach issues, and it did so again when I had the half sandwich for breakfast with an over-easy egg the next day. Note to self: Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches don't make for good breakfasts. Save it for a snack instead. Big thanks to our gracious host, RL, for having us over and enjoy the food and this fantastic view.
 Lady Liberty!
A group of us ventured to Comodoa quaint little Latin American spot in Soho. There were hits and misses. The octopus cooked in mezcal served with a side of apple cider braised kale was perfectly cooked so it wasn't rubbery and the slightly tangy kale complemented the soft octopus very well. This was probably my favorite dish here.
The seafood mix ceviche came with a heap of fried root vegetables and fresh greens. It was decent but I found myself craving this ceviche with those super crunchy, giant roasted corn kernels I had a month ago instead.
The lamb sliders in Brazilian cheese bread was an interesting take on the classic cheese bread that pack the frozen isle of Brazilian markets (note: these were made at the restaurant, according to the site). The lamb smelled a bit lamb-y in a bad way but once doused in the chipotle dipping sauce, it was better.

The last of the starters was a mushroom taco that despite the fact that I'm a carnivore at heart, was seared nicely with good, earthy mushroom flavor. I would have liked more kick in the dollop of sauce but I made do.


The bolognese pasta with poblano peppers was average. Not too much flavor considering the addition of heat.
The steak served with farofa, a flour mixture used a lot in Brazil, and sauteed greens and mushrooms was a bit overcooked but I tried to eat the inner pieces that were closer to medium than medium well on the edges. We had asked for medium rare.
The tamarind-glazed sea bass with creamy polenta and sauteed broccolini was delicious if not lacking in punch. It didn't need to be spicy per se but I could barely taste the tamarind and I could have used some stronger flavors is all. The fish was fresh and was cooked right so the flesh was soft.
Perhaps the biggest disappointment was the shredded pork dish. It was dubbed as coffee-rubbed braised Berkshire pork shoulder, and it was served with mashed potatoes, mushrooms and green. The pork was far too dry for a self-respecting restaurant charging these prices ($24). Although I liked the starch and veggies sides enough, I didn't think the sides were original or variant enough. To be sure, most patrons order one dish each and don't share with a group of nine but I'd say they could kick up their flavors and sides game. Service left something to be desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment