Sunday, September 15, 2013

800 Degress Pizzeria: Is the Wait Worth It? Yes, and the Line Moves Fast

I had always been deterred from going to 800 Degrees by the perpetual long lines outside and the bad parking. I'm glad I finally went and it's true that the line does move fast. Is it better than Mozza or Olio? Not sure if I'd be able to tell from a blind test but in my bias, I liked Mozza's better. It's definitely on par with Olio, though, if not better.
We had the Margherita and Capricciosa. The basic Margherita was as it should be -- simple and light, with a thin, perfectly charred, blistery crust bubbles straight out of the giant oven. The basil leaves were fresh and the tomato sauce was seasoned right. The Capricciosa had artichokes, mushrooms, olives and ham. I usually hate meat on pizzas but this ham worked. If I venture away from a Margherita, my fave toppings are artichokes and mushrooms. The squash blossom pie I had at Mozza also comes to mind. The Capricciosa was a good mix of salty with different textures. But what made it truly glorious was our opting for a fried egg on top. That just brought the whole pie together. I could have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The gooey egg just added a ton of goodness to the whole dish. Combined with the ham, it was indeed like having breakfast, only better. I loved that it had Lambrusco among its wines -- bubbly red was perfect for a hot day. The interior was roomier than I thought, with many tables so one wouldn't have to fight for a table with the next person. I'll definitely return.

No comments:

Post a Comment