Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pono Burger in Santa Monica: Sweet Potato Chips and Pickled Ginger in Your Burger, What? It Works.

After hearing raves about Pono Burger, this burger fiend couldn't resist trekking over there to see for myself. It was billed as a Hawaiian or Asian take on burgers. The re-purposed barn space and eclectic rustic farm decor were very cool if it weren't for the fact that the chairs were somewhat uncomfortable and it was cold. The burger was excellent, which is saying a lot because I had a specialty burger called Sassy Wahine.
The best thing about it was the patty, which was moist and flavorful and cooked perfectly medium rare. I so appreciate that since I've had to take back numerous overcooked burgers the past few times I ordered them elsewhere. The bun was fresh, soft and warm, just the way it should be. The works were interesting and included Okinawan sweet potato chips, pea shoots, pickled ginger (you know, the delightfully vinegar-y thinly sliced kind you get with your sushi), avocado and wasabi mayo, all drizzled with a sesame ponzu dressing.
Whatever happened to the basic cheeseburger, you ask? I'm with you. I normally don't like complicated burgers with mile-long descriptions. However, for all its descriptors, this burger worked. The crunch from the chips gave it another interesting dimension and the ginger didn't overpower despite some initial concerns. Then we had the creamy avocado and the freshness from the pea shoots. I thought there could have been fewer pea shoots but I won't hold it against this otherwise stellar burger.
I could barely taste the wasabi mayo or sesame ponzu sauce but I didn't necessarily miss them. Better than having them overpower other parts of the burger. There were some complaints online about small portions but I thought it was just right. Now, the fries were a tad disappointing. We got both the sweet potato and regular potatoes that came out with garlic aioli dipping sauces. I just wanted the fries to match the caliber of the burger. They could have been crispier and hotter.
We treated ourselves with some seriously decadent shakes for semi-dessert, including the salted caramel (is there a restaurant that doesn't have this trendy item on the menu these days? I'm not complaining) sprinkled with bacon bits (another trend that's old but extremely tolerable -- oh, and they're from Niman Ranch) and strawberry.
They were both very good but not sure I could have finished one by myself. The salted caramel got too sweet for its own good after a few scoops even after being tempered by the salty bacon bits. The strawberry was good but again, too filling for one person.

Free parking is a good service. I would definitely return to try the other burgers or create my own and check out their wine and beer selection. This is a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment